Here are somethings I was able to be involved with while visiting many friends.To begin I was thrilled that I was able to attend my best friends baby shower. There are many things sacrificed when being a missionary and being away from my friends is one of the most difficult for me. There are about 10 of us that are tight from college and my best friend is due on June 13th. She and I have been together through some pretty major stuff and I was so happy to be able to be apart of her shower. She will be having the baby while I am in the DR but I was able to share with her a little before this big event happens. This is beth and me after the party.
The next day I was able to go to Hazel Findley which is a nursing home in Michigan. I was able to tell my story and ministry in the DR. I challenged them that even though they seem old they can still be impacting people for Christ. By smiling and being friendly to those who care for them or talking with visitors whom they might not know. God really spoke through me to these folks. There was one lady who spoke up and asked if i knew the song Jesus loves me. I said of course and she asked if i would sing it for her. Well I am not very comfortable speaking in front of people so you can imagine me singing...but I went for it and the spirit of the Lord was felt. I went up to her afterwards and she said that when I was singing that song I looked like an angel. I have no idea what God was doing that morning but it will be a day I won't forget. This is the lady and me.
Another cool thing I was able to be apart of was a Jr. High retreat at Michiana Camp. There were about 5 churches that came. It was a great time to share with young ones about where God has brought my life too. How he can use anyone if they are willing and seeking Him. I never knew how fun Jr. High kids could be. Here is a picture of me with some of the kids from Community Christian Church.
I was also able to visit my older sister and her two little girls. Jenna and Jamie are a huge part of my life. When I finished my internship in 2005 I stayed with her and her husband for a couple of months. This gave me a chance to bond tightly with the girls at the time were 2 1/2 and 1 years old. Now 5 and 4 they are growing into funny little kids with many questions always needing an answer. Jamie the younger one is always the one wanting to go with me when it is my time to go but this time it was Jenna. She was very sad to see me leave and asked if she could come with me. I said that her mom would really miss her and it would be better for her to stay. After reasoning with her a little more. I turned to her and said, " I tell you what when you are 10 you can come and visit me okay". Without thinking she said, "Aunt lisa that is only 5 years away...I am 5 years now." I said that I knew that and she was content this the answer. Wow... they grow up way to fast. Here is a picture of us.
With these only being a couple of things it was great talking with many about the ministry God has called me too. I have gotten lots of advice from so many and appreciate the love and care that is always given.
No comments:
Post a Comment