It is a Friday night about 8:30pm, rainy and both kids are in bed. We are putting on a movie to have a date in tonight. It has turned really cool here and it has been a long day. With one teething kid and another who just couldn't seem to listen today. Though these days don't happen all the time it has just been one of those days...But then as I sit here I think of the women in Haiti right now...especially those in Port-au-Prince and those who are amongst the Cholera. How are they managing. Having a one year old in a tent, I can't imagine, or finding out my child is so sick and spending hours waiting for help hoping they are strong enough to live until the help is available, wondering where or how the next meal will come and I am sure some ask "where are you Lord?" Why all this turmoil? Why all this sadness? Why all this despair? Why all this sickness and destruction?
Or then there is the other side being a doctor or missionary in Haiti trying to help and bring hope to so many. Seeing those who didn't have the strength to hold out until help was available, seeing many lose their lives, babies, children, teenagers, adults and the elderly. Many of all ages are dying everyday.
I recently had a conversation with a great friend about how to have Joy always. I have been pondering this question a lot lately. She spoke great truth to me and it has changed my outlook on it all. Satan comes to steal Joy...and for me Joy and happiness were one. Not any longer. Many people are happy, even those who do not know Jesus. They are happy with stuff or their job or their home and family. Jesus is the only one that can give Joy. It is from Him and Him alone. I see all that is happening in Haiti and I think two things:
One, Satan is there amongst many trying to steal and for some has succeeded in stealing their Joy. Two, Jesus is there for those searching or whose faith is strong and Joy is seen in their smiles when they are with their child though stuck in a tent, or it is in those who might not have much but still seem to share a meal. It has not been taken from all and many are there fighting for Joy to remain in their lives and for them I pray and continue to seek Joy myself.
With this, I find Joy in giving myself, by service, a smile, a conversation to those who might need just to talk and by financially sacrificing those things that we have. As this Christmas time approaches and as you pray for the way Jesus desires you to give or be stretched please know these people living in Haiti are not just people that we serve in our ministry but they are now apart of my family line...
It was great seeing everyone and while my stay was super short the love we have for you is huge and irreplaceable.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
No comments:
Post a Comment